Sunday, April 17, 2016

ROAD TO ROME, APRIL 2016


"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a jaded woman in possession of good fortune must be in want of a vacation abroad."
The photograph that accompanies this first epistle of my Italy 2016 blog is of my view today as I pack my suitcase to the refrains of Duffy singing "Stepping Stone". It is a melodious, cheerful song, in harmony with the autumnal sunshine pouring into the chambers of our near-empty apartment after several days of 'curing' following a buff and polish.

Of one thing I am sure: that when our 26-day foray to Italy is over, I will be longing once more to gaze my eyes upon this view. Because however jaded one is - and believe me, I am '100% proof' jaded - there is still nothing better than home sweet Lincoln Crescent. I know how fortunate I am, but my word, how to retain one's sense of good humour without the occasional get-away-from-it-all?

I am tired of watching my words, my bank accounts, my data usage, my weight, my back. I am weary of being nanny to my pooch. I am tired of searching for my spectacles because I find it difficult to locate anything without them on my face. I am sick of commuting by train to Olympic Park, Pandora app notwithstanding. Even another episode of my drip-feed drug, Justified, cannot sustain me in good temper for long.

No, it's time for me to visit not-so-foreign climes and escape the hot air circulating about impending elections, local and international - frankly my dear, I so don't give a damn - and drink in different views, both visual, intellectual and esoteric.

I will try to keep tabs on everything that we experience, but as the point of the exercise is TO LET GO, don't hold your breath. Rather, book YOUR next holiday - and start looking forward.

For me, the anticipation of Italy 2016 has been life-affirming and now my only remaining angst is that the holiday will not live up to expectations. We will see! For now, adieu dear friends as I wing my way in train of la dolce vita....

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy! Holidays are such fun. And I enjoy your writing. Keep the stories coming. Hopefully you'll be back for a few weeks before I leave so we can exchange stories over a glass on your balcony. H xx

    ReplyDelete