Thursday, June 17, 2010

CHINA IS DRIVING ME CRAZY


Well guys, I have been in China's capital less than 24 hours and already I want out. My cousin Jennifer returned to work and I was left in this godforsaken hotel, where I appear to be the only guest, and at 4am this morning I awoke, hot, and by 5.15 I was dressed and packed and telling them to find me a decent room or else. Getting understood is virtually impossible, I cannot believe I am now typing this in a department store where there is a wireless Apple stand. The young Chinese girl doesn't seem to give a toss, and I'm just bloody grateful, because my iPad is proving USELESS throughout China. Poor Chinese workers are committing suicide at Apple plants in the provinces (let's not even go there), and here am I, hick JB from Sydney, completely freaking out because I am the only Westerner face I have seen in a sea of locals all day.

Tomorrow I am going on a tour for the day to see the Forbidden City and walk the Great Wall. I was going to do it solo, but after what I've been through, no thanks. I'll take a guide's broken English and an airconditioned bus, thanks.

If I ever had any dreams of being an intrepid traveller, these are well and truly shattered. What was I thinking? All I want now is my house, my husband, my dog, my bath, my bed, my TV, my computer, my friends, my life.
Help!

Yes, travelling is great, but this is NOT one of those days. I will sign off now because I am spewing. Miraculously, thanks to my cousin's directions, I did find a bookstore that sold English books (my iPad books are all read, egads) so I am going to settle down for an hour or two with David Sedaris at Starbucks. Starbucks has Wifi and I thought I was going to have an iPad breakthrough, but THAT dream was shattered too.

Would I recommend Beijing to you? Ask me on another day....!

Love to all of you from a not-very-happy JB xxx

1 comment:

  1. Come on JB! You can do it!! Missing you here at RD. It's just TOO quiet without you. Luke xx

    ReplyDelete