Thursday, June 24, 2010

THE NATURAL BEAUTY OF HONG KONG ISLAND

Well! Hong Kong is more than a money-making haven for Gordon Gekkos from all over the world. Today I jumped on bus 6X to the seaside suburb of Stanley, and 25 minutes later, after a gorgeous cliffside drive where I looked out on islets of green splattered about in placid, silvery water, I arrived in this beachside mecca. Bondi Beach meets Balmoral! And along the way, Repulse Bay, see the photo here, with its skyscraper hotels, iconic Chinese attractions and sandy beach packed with locals whenever the weather permits...
But, back to Stanley which is about five minutes further along the cliffside road. OMG, I could not quite believe it: here I was, hearing birds sing, surrounded by verdant lushness, taking a leisurely stroll along the promenade, unhurried and unperturbed by noise, crowds or hustle. Quel joie, as the Frogs would say. Next minute I was accosted by a gang of adorable nine-year-old Chinese children who wanted to interview me about my thoughts on Hong Kong. Well! Did they find the right candidate! We chatted ad nauseum (photos will be downloaded and added here, in due course, soon as I can locate the right gear) and one fat-faced Chinese boy whispered in awe, "You very kind lady."
I could not help but notice how impeccable their spoken AND written English was, and wondered if you would see such consistently impeccable penmanship in a gaggle of nine-year-old Australians. I'm not sure!
I then went trawling through some pretty shops and the local market and was sufficiently relaxed to actually want to buy something, so I am yet another garnet ring richer. Love the jewel memorabilia to remind me of my travels! After a Nasi Goreng lunch, twice the cost of one at Broadway - god, eating Westerner in Hong Kong is expensive - I jumped back on the return bus (airconditioned) and enjoyed the gorgeous views on the easy, quick route home. A couple of 40-storey apartment blocks occasionally block the beautiful views, but overall.... a hint of the "outback" enjoyment that Hong Kong also offers was definitely on view. I live with two 20-something yuppies who thrive on the 'run, beach, hike' lifestyle and they report a never-ending calendar of outdoor delights. Now I'm thirsty for more myself!.

One important tip for anyone visiting Honkers is, get yourself an Octopus card. It's a local electronic purchase card that you load up periodically to the tune of 50 or 100 Hong Kong dollars at any 711 convenience store; with it, you can pay for groceries, board any bus, tramway or subway and generally take care of everyday mundanities without finding the right change in your wallet.
Tomorrow I'm off to another relatively unspoilt part of Hong Kong, all of which makes a delicious contrast to my nights which are spent roaring along with the crowds watching World Cup Soccer matches in the red light district bars, discos and pubs. All the usual entertainment has come to a standstill, huge FIFA screens are everywhere, and the Filipino prostitutes are filing their nails in boredom as all their prospective customers sit with their eyes glued to television screens.
Hong Kong is a wierd city really. It's supposedly Chinese, but apart from people looking Chinese, and talking Chinese, it doesn't feel Chinese at all. Not after visiting mainland China anyway! Hong Kongers are definitely more sophisticated, and more arrogant it seems - perhaps it's because they are citixens of one of the first true 'world cities'. But, can't report further right now - off to see Sex and the City 2 which seems ironically apt, considering that I am living slap-bang in Wan Chai, Honkers' hip and happening red light district.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment